Balayage is one of our favourite hair techniques and along with making your hair look great, the expert team at Alchemy & I in Palmerston North also ensure that you have healthy shiny hair too. Balayage is a beautiful look and remains popular for good reason, here are some tips to help you maintain your new look.
Good Routines Improve Conditions
It helps if you have strong, healthy hair to start with. There are a lot of things you can do to improve the condition of your hair:
- Drink plenty of water and consider taking vitamins – vitamins A, B (particularly biotin), C, D, and E are great for hair growth and strength, as well as iron, zinc, and protein
- Use a deep conditioning treatment once a week – leave it in for at least five minutes for the most impact
- Avoid heated styling tools when you can – and make sure that, if you do use heated tools, you always use heat protection spray beforehand
- Get your hair trimmed regularly to avoid split ends
- Invest in a decent brush, like a boar-bristle brush, which can help to gently detangle your hair as well as redistributing its natural oils
- Sleeping on a silk pillowcase or using silk scrunchies can help prevent your hair from breaking or splitting
Some Things to Avoid
It’s really important that you stay away from chlorine, which may mean skipping a few swimming sessions. It’s a good idea to wait for three to four days as a minimum before you head off to the pool.
It’s also good to shampoo your hair immediately after you go for a swim, so don’t wait until you get home. Hop straight in the shower and wash that chlorine out every time to protect the colour in your hair.
Treat Your Hair Post-Balayage
After balayage, it’s important to look after your hair properly. A deep conditioning treatment can help to keep your hair in good condition. You can get at-home treatments to do once a week to keep your hair healthy. If you do use a deep conditioning treatment, don’t leave it on for more than half an hour, as this can make your hair brittle.
You could avoid shampoos with sulfates and silicones, replacing them with more natural ingredients (argan oil is a wonder ingredient – it can really help to improve the condition of your hair).
Use the Right Products
A good shampoo and conditioner will help to make your new colour last longer. Look for silver-toned shampoos, or shampoos that have colour protection. Bonus points if you can find shampoos and conditioners with wonder ingredients, like argan oil, Moroccan oil, or rice water – these ingredients will help to strengthen and protect your hair without removing the colour.
Back to the Hair Salon
It’s recommended that you go back to your salon every 10-12 weeks to touch up your balayage. Just keep an eye on the condition of your hair. If your hair starts to feel brittle, or begins to break, it’s time to have a break and let your hair recover.